Monday, September 30, 2013

23 September 2013 Consider the books you have read in the last year or two either for school or for leisure. Please discuss the way in which one of them changed your understanding of the world,other people, or yourself. (Duke University)

When I was in seventh grade, our English teacher made our class to John Boyne’s 2004 novel The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. To be honest, I thought it would be boring  just by looking at the cover and the blurb. Although a few of my friends had watched the movie, I was not looking forward to reading it.

This book is set during World War II. It is mainly about the friendship between the soldier’s sun and a boy from the concentration camp. The main character Bruno, who is eight years old and from a wealthy family, has to move due to his father being an SS soldier. One day, Bruno meets Shmuel, who looks a bit different, being described as bald, skinny, and looking weak. They soon become friends and Bruno brings him food every day. Although there is physically a fence between the two, they continue to talk about things such as their family and themselves. Innocent Bruno doesn’t see why Shmuel has to be treated differently from others. He doesn’t understand why there has to be a fence between the two.

Towards the end, Bruno decides to go under the fence to see Shmuel. This is easy for him since he has to shave his hair because of lice (the soldiers won’t recognize him because everyone is bald in the concentration camp). However, the two are dragged with a few other people and forced to die with in a room full of gas. The narrator finally notes that there was no news about Bruno after that.

During our English lessons, our teacher would have us discuss our opinions with the class. I first thought that this would be pointless because what else would there be between their friendship? However, the more I read, the more I understood. I came to wonder what I would have done in Bruno’s position. If I knew someone like Shmuel, could the two of us become true friends? Would I have the courage to go under that fence?

I also believed that situations like that between Bruno and Shmuel could arise with me as well. It might not be through a fence or in a concentration camp, but there could be some people who I try to avoid for some reason. It could be because of their race, wealth, or background. If eight-year-old Bruno was able to become friends with someone in a totally opposite situation, I can break through the “fence” and become friends with another as well! It’s only the beginning that is hard; you will get used to it once you are out of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment