Monday, December 16, 2013

What makes a true friend? Describe one.

In this essay I would like to talk about someone who has been one of the best friends in my life. I will be referring her as Sarah (not her real name) and describe how she has inspired my life in many different ways.

I first met Sarah in 2011, two years ago. She came in the middle of our school year and my group of friends decided that we should include her as a part of our group. I thought Sarah looked like one of those girls who I would have a hard time getting along with. It seemed as if our personalities didn’t match and we wouldn’t get close because she was in another class. In the beginning, it was fine for me to not consider her one of my close friends, but as time went by, I felt as if I was “losing” a close friend of mine.

Sarah and I had a proper conversation for the first time at the beginning of seventh grade. Although the conversation wasn’t important, the two of us realized that our way of thinking was similar. Luckily, we were in the same class that year, which gave us a better chance to talk. During the first few months of seventh grade, I found out that Sarah lived about 15 minutes away from where I lived, the types of food she liked and disliked, and how she came to our school. It took us less than three months to get close, which was quite unusual because we couldn’t do so for a year in sixth grade.  Sarah and I had a chance to share facts about ourselves and stories that we would normally keep inside. We couldn’t believe how strong our friendship had grown since the previous year. We hung out after school for many weeks and developed an extremely strong friendship.

Although Sarah and I had good times, there were days when it was impossible for us to understand each other. The more you know friend, the higher the possibility of fighting with them. Sarah is the type to get angry easily and I am the type to forget things quickly. This was the main problem for the two of us because whenever we had a fight, Sarah would be extremely offended and I would quickly forget about it. The longest fight that we’ve ever had was only for a day, but Sarah and I would be intensely angry towards each other. Luckily, most fights were over with a quick apology and our friendship hadn’t changed a bit. In fact, through these fights, I had a chance to know Sarah even more than before. Through these major and minor fights with Sarah, our friendship grew even stronger.

Currently, I consider Sarah one of my closest friends. Fortunately, we are in the same class this year as well. A true friend understands you the better than anyone else and tells what is right or wrong. There may be times when you don’t understand each other, but through these fights a true friend will understand you better and know how to act the next time. It may take a while to realize who your true friends are, but eventually, you will know. I would like to thank Sarah for being my true friend and always being there no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment